The Boston Emcee Returns with His 12 Studio LP…and He’s Hungry
On his twelfth studio LP in nearly 20 years, Reks sounds just as hungry and passionate on T.H.I.N.G.S. (The Hunger Inside Never Gets Satisfied) as he did when Along Came The Chosen dropped back in 2001. Perhaps even more so. There seems to be a fire that gets lit under the Lawrence, MA native whenever he begins crafting a new album.
That feeling is palpable throughout T.H.I.N.G.S., an album bursting with everything you’d want from a Reks record, but also so much more. There’s certainly instances of his trademark wordplay mixed with bravado on here, like the Apollo Brown-produced banger “Animal Kingdom” which receives a new video today just in time for today’s album release. The visuals, which are an A Logos Video production, follow the emcee as he explores the Wynwood Miami Art District, Little Haiti and Overtown while dropping a barrage of quotables.
The Complex ft Pharoe Monch
And given his talents with the pen, he’s able to blend strong songwriting with deep, conceptual lyrics. Just listen to how he tackles white privilege on the otherwise catchy “Rachel Green” or the way he chronicles being Black in America on “White House.” That’s not even mentioning “The Complex,” a lyrically gripping look at PTSD and Big Pharma featuring Pharoahe Monch, and his personal favorite track, “Nana & Grampy’s Song,” a heartfelt dedication to Black love.
For Reks, it’s all about delivering the best possible music to his fans while staying true to himself. And he does exactly that not just through his own gifts, but also through collaborations with the likes of Monch, Lil Fame, Nottz, Evidence, and Marco Polo, among others.
T.H.I.N.G.S., is available now for pre-order and becomes available on CD and through all major digital retailers and streaming platforms on Friday, September 11. A deluxe splatter Vinyl LP will be available in limited quantities via Brick Records.
“Benjamin’s Dead” (prod. by D.R.U.G.S. Beats)
Featuring Lil Fame & Singapore Kane
“Benjamin’s Dead” is the politically charged and fittingly rowdy new single from Reks and his equally fired-up collaborators, Singapore Kane and Lil Fame. The three emcees absolutely body the hard-hitting production from D.R.U.G.S. Beats as they lyrically tear down the oppressive system on which the U.S. was built (and continues to fortify).
The single is available now through all major DSPs and is taken from Reks’ 12th studio album, T.H.I.N.G.S. (The Hunger Inside Never Gets Satisfied), which drops on Sept 11 via Brick Records. The LP includes collaborations with Pharoahe Monch, Lil Fame, Nottz, Evidence, and Marco Polo, among others, and can be pre-ordered now both on CD and a deluxe splatter vinyl through Get On Down.
01. Strong.Ready.Able (prod. by Jon Glass)
02. T.H.I.N.G.S (prod. by Nottz)
03. MissEducation (prod. by G Whiz)
04. Civilized Barbarians (prod. by Evidence)
05. The Complex (feat. Pharoahe Monch) (prod. Statik Selektah)
06. Isis Daughter (feat. Rayel) (prod. by Apollo Brown)
07. Rachel Green (prod. by D.R.U.G.S. Beats)
08. Ego (prod. by Shortfyuz)
09. Brotherly Love (prod. by Andre X)
10. Legacy Driven (prod. by Evidence)
11. White House (prod. by D.R.U.G.S. Beats)
12. Benjamin’s Dead (feat. Singapore Kane & Lil Fame) (prod. by D.R.U.G.S. Beats)
13. Animal Kingdom (prod. by Apollo Brown)
14. King of the Town (feat. Lucky Dice & Chi Knox) (prod. by Apollo Brown)
15. Heartbreak, Farewell (prod. by Marco Polo)
16. The Wedding Song (feat. C Scharp & Queen Philosophical) (prod. by Marco Polo)
17. This Village (prod. by Evidence)
18. Nana & Grampy’s Song (prod. by D.R.U.G.S.beats)
19. Still Dreaming (prod. by Mephux)